Friday, December 24, 2004

The good pie crust.....

Everything works best if things are chilled. Chill the mixing bowl, spoons, measuring cups,as well as the milk, oil, etc. Not necessary to go overboard but the chilling helps.

Mix 1/2 cup of canola oil (Wesson brand is known to work well.) with

1 1/2 cups of sifted flour and
a pinch of salt.

Then add 5tbs of milk (1/4 cup + 1tbs).

You should derive an "oily-like" ball of dough.


As I received it the recipe then allows for digital manipulation in the pan to form the crust. However, what works best for me is to roll it out between two pieces of wax paper. It is then very easy to fix any wrinkles, cracks, or other damage with your fingers after flipping it into the pan.

Bake it empty at 350 for ~10 minutes. You can put milk or egg whites on it to get the nice browning if you so desire.
If you fill it... depends on the filling what you want to do but, the recipe calls for 375 for ~1 hour.

I like this crust because it is easy, has a good taste on it's own without anything in it, and has a nice flakiness to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, 5 tablespoons is equal to 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp...just a little tidbit...wouldn't want anyone's crust to turn out wrong. MJ

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy,
I just wanted to say that it's too bad that I missed you during Christmas vacation, and I hope you can pop over later so we can chat it up and actaully interact.
Wadata.

Jacobus the Scribe said...

MJ, you had me thinking I had been smoking crack for a second there. I double-checked with onlineconversions.com and found that 1 cup = 16 tbs in US measures.