Saturday, January 29, 2005

All the New Dudes

First off, I want to apologize for the fact that this post is not as organized or thematic as I generally like to make them. The last couple of weeks have been relatively momentous but... I don't know, so I'll just tell the story.

Three new guys on the island and one leaving. One of the kids, the Napoleonic kid I mentioned in my last island report, it was decided that our program might not be the right one for him. (That is to say we decided to arrange for him to be kicked out.) There were a great many problems with his behavior but, more importantly all of our treatment plans for him were being sabotaged from his home. The threat of getting kicked out had interesting effects on his behavior. They represent something quite common to most of these boys. Given certain conditions for not getting kicked out early on he began with an attitude that he was going to meet the requirements. However, in his decision making processes he consitently betrayed his stated intentions until a point of crisis arrived. When the difficulty (yet existent possibility) of succeeding in the goal reached a certain level, the boy determined that the whole thing was hopeless. Deciding that it was hopeless he let his behavior run in exactly the wrong course.

The three guys who've showed up: I'm finding that most of the kids when they are new and not yet secure with the situation tend to have pretty good behavior. They aren't comfortable enough to take more risks than they've already taken by just going to the island. Nonetheless, compared with the kid leaving, the kids coming are to me a breath of fresh air. There are of course many problems but they seem a lot more manageable from a sort of teacher type perspective.

The first of the three to come out is a kind of pot-head or at least that is how he presents himself. A lot of it may be due to the fact that he's on a plethora of medications, something someone referred to as a chemical restraint. Sleeps a lot. Hasn't been a stellar student in the past but for my money he's demonstrated the capacity to be. Imagine Brandon Rogers NOT on speed. (That's a joke.)

The second of the three new guys was just previously in a program in Magna. Yes, that's right. Magna, Utah. The place is called Vista and from what he said it sounds pretty awful. Someone might check it out for me. He ran away from there and they put him in the U's mental hospital up in Research Park near Fort Douglas Cemetery if you know where that is. Anyway, he's a great kid so far. Much more mature than I'm used to dealing with out here. Actively involved, hardworking, even volunteering in every part of the program.

I've been made the advisor to the third kid. That means I'll be in charge of helping make sure he meets all the graduation requirements for the program and so forth. There is something about him that kind of creeps me out a bit. He reminds me a couple of kids from the ancestral village. These were kids who had serious issues of substance abuse and physical abuse in their homes. The sign was a slightly awkward means of trying to be ingraciating. There is also a certain fragility to the body and an intangible quality to facial expressions. He's told me of certain anger problems but I think they are founded in some form of anxiety. He is definitely a little over anxious.

Anyway, all the new people have an interesting effect on the kids we already have. For one, they are not getting as much attention as they used to so... they are acting out in some ways to get some. Also, they have different behavioral patterns that are dampened or intensified where they have things respectively uncommon or common between them. All in all I expect a good effect. It seems some infusion of some more positive attitudes.

Due to libraries and timed internet use you will have to wait for the story of my week off island. There's my teaser trailer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings sir.

I am posting anonymously because A) I am a sneaky sort. B) because I have been far too lazy in the last 17 minutes to sign up for anything. & C) it seemed appropriate at the time.
I was busily perusing an old email address with a dredging stick to see what I could see (You’d be surprised… and shocked at what can lurk within an old email address) and sparkling down among a nest of male enhancement spam I found an email from the likes of you with a link to this blog. Hence my appearance here.

At any rate, I hope things are well and I wish you luck and ladies and stacks of cash.

-Pope Q the R.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am glad you are having a good time. Ppl who seek out agony are weird. There is a character in "The Brothers Karamozov" named Lise, and her actions are motivated by a sick hunger for suffering (to bcm good ??? or to redeem her sins ???, even though by consciously knowing she is seeking redemption she invalidates her efforts [i.e. second guessing]). At one point, Lise slams her fingers in the door to punish herself for being wicked, but her idea of suffering is so shallow, vain, and ridiculous that it is not really a serious attempt at redemption.

If I were going to suffer for redemption, I would probably make myself re-read "The Brothers Karamazov".

Helping creepy kids builds character.

--batman

Jacobus the Scribe said...

A quick response to Rosebub:
Recently one of my coworkers who is about to resign was talking about what kind of new job he was looking for and said he wanted a job that pays money. He made some comment about how doing this job he has been making deposits in his "guilt bank" so now he can do a job that is selfishly gratifying and say "but I spent all those years working for pennies at Penikese."

Anonymous said...

Guilt Bank: It's all comes back to good karma. That is why I recycle- I figure I need all the help I can get. Well.... truthfully I recycle for the karma value and the fact that in CA they have a cash redemption value on soda, which raises the cost of your average diet coke addiction approximately 4%. What is the world coming to?