Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Cashew Tree

So, it has been over a year since I first got the idea to try and do this and at long last I have had some success. Below is a cashew tree seedling, I sprouted in my room. I'm excited enough that I'm posting this before I talk about my retreat. Normally I'm opposed to naming inanimate things but in this case I'm going to make an exception so, I'm offering anyone with ideas a chance to discuss names for a cashew tree.

Though, I've discussed this with some people I should explain part of the reason I decided to try to grow a cashew tree. First is the obvious: I like cashews. Second: When I first read about doing it, I thought it to be a rather unique, interesting, and cool thing to try. Third: I found out that the cashew tree grows a fruit sometimes called a cashew apple that you can never buy in stores because when it is ripe it is too delicate to withstand any packaging or shipping. You have to have the tree to eat this forbidden fruit.

When I tried this before it failed for a couple of reasons. First New England isn't all that terribly sunny in the summer compared to Utah. My mistaken assumption. Also, I think I may have overwatered them. Apparently these guys like the desert. So, I think I planted 7 or so seeds then and got nothing. This time around I modified a sort of cabinet so that it is covered with reflective insulation on the inside and rigged a fluorescent coil light that comes encased in a plastic device that alters the light spectrum that's emitted to imitate natural light. I planted the seeds in some little contraptions designed to water the plant without human attention (important considering my job) with lots of food and a special chemical called gibberellic acid that stimulates seed germination and stem growth. I rigged the whole thing with a timer so that the seeds (and now plant) get 13 hours of sunlight a day. And.... voila. If you look closely at the picture you can see the two cashew-shaped cotyledons.

It's supposed to be a year or so before it starts to produce fruit.



5 comments:

Holy Mother Eph said...

Oh my gosh!! I love cashew juice. Cashew trees are grown in Brasil, which is where Joe went on his mission. There is probably a Brasilian market where you can try it. I admit, the first time I tried it, I didn't really like it, it was so strange. But it's one of those flavors that grows on you. So anyway, it's a tropical plant, which is why it's requiring 13 hours of sunlight. You should name it something in Portuguese. I can't believe you got it growing in Massachusetts! That is so cool.

Anonymous said...

So .... is your (presumably now Portuguese named)cashew tree still thriving? I have been all over the Internet looking for a seedling tree for sale ... to absolutely NO avail. (It did however, lead me to your interesting blog. ; D
Where/how did you get your hands on the seeds?!

ShatziBlue said...

All nice'n signed up now ... any info will be greatly appreciated!

mariohugo said...

Wow, it is amazing you were able to grow a cashew tree here in the states. First, how did you get the seed? Second, have you seen any fruits yet? I don't know how big the plant is yet. My uncle used to grow cashew trees in Guatemala. The fruit and its juice is soooooo delicious. If you are interested in acquiring some fruit, there is a place in Los Angeles that imports it. It is not fresh, but you can still enjoy the greatness of the fruit.

Anonymous said...

I brought a cashew seed back from Costa Rica and now have a 3 foot cashew seedling. Since I live near Atlanta, I have to move it indoors in the winter. When it gets too big, I may sell it or give it to the Botanical Gardens. And cahsew wine is good too.